Monday, July 2, 2012

Guru Purnima, homage to our teachers

गुरुर्ब्रह्म गुरुर्विष्णु गुरुर्देवो महेश्‍वर: ।
गुरु: साक्षात् परब्रह्मा तस्मै श्री गुरुवे नम: ।।

Today is Guru Purnima, the full moon day of Shrawan. It is day for paying homage to out teachers.  I wrote a status update on Facebook a short time back,
standing to attention when a country's national anthem is being played is not only honoring the country you are in, but also honoring your own nation -- ten times more -- for having taught the values and the civics to respect and revere a country's pride and heritage...
And even though I saw a message earlier today from a friend from Nepal about today being Guru Purnima, it was only after writing the message (above),  scrolling down and seeing an update from another friend who's in the States also writing about Guru Purnima, it hit me, I am writing about being taught the civics and the values, and I forget the most important teachers who actually taught us this -- our Gurus, our teachers.

Today where I am, what I am, I owe to my teachers, starting with my parents, my wife, my family, my friends, who taught me the basics and I keep learning from them each second, all the teachers who taught me during my school and later college days -- my teachers from Modern Indian School, Kendriya Vidyalaya, my college in Delhi and then Kathmandu University. I bow down in reverence to you. 

Often, as we perform our daily routine -- work, eat, spend time with the family, travel -- we forget the basics, we forget that we are breathing, our hearts are beating, we are thinking, it is not that these are any less important than what we "do", it is at our core, we are nothing, absolutely nothing (I am reminded of the "null" set, as my maths teacher from 6th Class put it "example of null set is the number of fishes swimming in the tree") we are nothing without this core. Our teachers are simply the core of our lives, they are at the core of what we are.

Thank you

No comments: