Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lines of code

A few years back, a friend sent me a card, no matter how hard I try, I can't recollect the occasion (it most certainly wasn't my birthday), anyway, the card had written on it –

I am a software analyst

I am a software developer
I am a programmer

I am a person who writes code!

At the end of the day, anybody who worked on development of the graphic-rich ultra-cool games we play on the computer or the word processing applications we use to type and neatly present 200-pages long reports, are all people who write code.

The phrase "person who writes code" is no way as fancy as "analyst", or as intellectual as "developer" or as geeky as the "programmer", and this for sure will not get you any girls to go out with.

It is the poor person who writes code who does all the work and these analysts, developers and programmers who get all the glory and worse -- the girls!

Why so?

I have absolutely no idea!!!

Spending a Sunday trying – to understand a 20-thousand line of code application using code that is just copy-pasted from the internet and then optimize it to use memory and processor power to say 15% of what is is using right now – is definitely not what one should be doing!

I better get back or if I keep this up, I will write another paragraph and head to the chiller, grab a few bottles of beer and enjoy the cricket!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Namaskar Sir,

I totally agree with you, though it is too late to agree since you wrote this post way long back but yes we people who write codes are the backstage artist... hehe
Anyways would love to hear more from you, please write some more about your programming moments/ experience if you have time.

Sobhraj
Big Fan of Urs
(Smita's Fren)
Application Code Writer